- To identify and describe the functions of different parts of flowering plants: roots, stem/trunk, leaves and flowers.
- To explore the requirements of plants for life and growth (air, light, water, nutrients from soil, and room to grow) and how they vary from plant to plant.
- To investigate the way in which water is transported within plants.
- To explore the part that flowers play in the life cycle of flowering plants, including pollination, seed formation and seed dispersal.
Animals, including humans
- To identify that animals, including humans, need the right types and amount of nutrition, and that they cannot make their own food; they get nutrition from what they eat.
- To identify that humans and some other animals have skeletons and muscles for support, protection and movement.
- To compare and group together different kinds of rocks on the basis of their appearance and simple physical properties.
- To describe in simple terms how fossils are formed when things that have lived are trapped within rock.
- To recognise that soils are made from rocks and organic matter.
- To recognise that they need light in order to see things and that dark is the absence of light.
- To notice that light is reflected from surfaces.
- To recognise that light from the sun can be dangerous and that there are ways to protect their eyes.
- To recognise that shadows are formed when the light from a light source is blocked by a solid object.
- To find patterns in the way that the size of shadows change.
Forces and magnets
- To compare how things move on different surfaces
- To notice that some forces need contact between two objects, but magnetic forces can act at a distance.
- To observe how magnets attract or repel each other and attract some materials and not others describe magnets as having two poles.
- To predict whether two magnets will attract or repel each other, depending on which poles are facing.
- To compare and group together a variety of everyday materials on the basis of whether they are attracted to a magnet, and identify some magnetic materials.