Throughout the year, your child will learn about the alphabet and will use phonics to spell simple words. This includes:
- spelling basic phonically decodable words and common exception words
- spelling the days of the week
- naming the letters of the alphabet
- using simple prefixes and suffixes like un- and -ing.
In Year One, your child will have spelling tests every 2-3 weeks when we feel the children are ready. Please practice your child’s spellings at home with them and record in their home planner when you have done so. School will record their test results in their planner for you to see.
Playing games can help children to learn about spelling in an enjoyable way.
Here are some fun ways of practising spellings:
- Spelling pyramids
- Rainbow colours
- Silly Sentences
- Read, Write, Cover, Check
For more info about Spellings in Year One visit: