This term, our topic is 'Where I Live'.
During this term Year 1 children will:
- Identify the 4 countries that makes up the UK and the capital cities on a map.
- Identify Stafford on the map and explain we live in a town which is smaller than a city.
- Observe key features within school surroundings and investigate school surroundings.
- Complete map comparisons of Rising Brook now and 100 years ago.
- Distinguish between fact and fiction.
- Understand why people did things, why events happened.
- Discuss the impact of seasons on day to day life and how the seasons impact on our local area.
- Using a map of the school produce a simple key to identify key features (playground, building, field etc) Follow directions. E.g. up, down, left, right (Link to ICT) Exposure to N,S,E,W
This topic covers our wider-curriculum subjects including; Geography, History, Art and D&T.
Our Art and D&T skills will be covered through a number of projects also linking to our topic:
Construction- Inspired by our English books and Topic children design, decorate and build a house for their character to live in, developing an understanding of different types of houses, how they are built and their key features. They will also construct a windmill house for a mouse.
Mechanisms -Children experiment with sliders before planning and making three pages of a moving story book, based on a familiar story or a moving story for our local area. They will draw the page backgrounds, make the moving parts and assemble it.
Our concept question we will be endeavouring to answer is:
'Do We Belong to a Great Community?'
In our very first topic lesson we will answer this question with no prior knowledge and after each lesson will come back and review whether our opinions have changed.
In Music we will be learning all about Pulse and Rhythm : All about me
Children learn to identify the difference between the pulse and rhythm of a song and consolidate their understanding of these concepts through listening and performing activities.
In Computing, we will be heading down to our fantastic ICT suite, where children will each have access to their own computer or laptop. Through the use of J2E, we will be covering Information Technology and Digital Literacy/Online Safety.
This term we will be introducing ourselves to how to use technology safely. We will be exploring how to manage the information we find online, how to stay safe and secure and the different ways we can use technology in our everyday lives. Once we are secure in using technology safely we will be beginning to explore computer programming and coding.